Working in Connecticut – Getting Started

All audiologists and speech language pathologists working in Connecticut must be licensed by the Connecticut State Department of Health. People new to the field of speech-language pathology must work under the supervision of a licensed professional in their field for one year before the license is issued. If the training program you attended meets ASHA requirements your academic background is likely to meet licensing requirements.

To reach the Department of Health, please visit:

Connecticut Department of Public Health
Speech and Language Pathologist Licensure

410 Capitol Avenue MS#12 APP
P.O. Box 340308
Hartford, CT 06134-0308
Phone:  (860) 509-7603
Fax:  (860) 707-1930
Email:  dph.hairdresserteam@ct.gov

People who want to work in public schools must also be certified by the State Department of Education. Since all states have slight variations in their requirements for education certification you should contact the department directly to see if your course of study matches Connecticut requirements.

To reach the Department of Education, please visit:

Connecticut State Department of Education
Special Services Endorsements

P.O. Box 150471
Hartford, CT 06115-0471
E-mail: teacher.cert@ct.gov
Phone: (860) 713-6969 (Between the hours of 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday)
Fax: (860) 713-7017

Connecticut Continuing Education Unit (CEU) Requirements

As of July 2011, the Connecticut Department of Public Health license renewal requires 2 CEUs (20 hours of continuing education) in the previous two years.

You will indicate that you have had the continuing education by checking a box on the renewal form.

You will not have to supply any documentation to the Department of Public Health and would not be asked to supply documentation unless you are investigated because of a reported license violation.

The CEUs must be from within two years of your renewal date which for all of us is our birth month.

For example, if you were born in October your CEUs would have to have been earned between October 2015 and September 2017.

If you have a June birthday it would be between June 2015 and May 2017. The same CEUs that you earn for ASHA or for the State Department of Education (if you maintain Department of Education certification) can be used for the Department of Health license.