Your highly skilled work as a clinical educator/supervisor of graduate students in speech-language pathology is important to the success of our profession! In recognition this, ASHA’s Council for Clinical Certification has instituted a requirement, starting January 1, 2020, that anyone serving as a clinical educator/supervisor must obtain a minimum of two hours of continuing education training in the area of supervision prior to undertaking that role. Training completed at any point prior to 2020 will meet this requirement.
Announcing No Charge Clinical Educator/Supervisor eLearning Courses!
To assist you in meeting the ASHA requirement for supervisor training, as well as advancing your knowledge and skills in this area, Sacred Heart University, Southern Connecticut State University, and the University of Connecticut are pleased to offer all their clinical preceptors/educators/supervisors the opportunity to participate in a series of Clinical Education/Supervision eLearning Courses! These courses were developed by the Council for Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD) to provide continuing education to clinical educators, preceptors and supervisors associated with CAPCSD member programs. As a clinical educator/supervisor for Southern Connecticut State University, you have access to these on-line courses at no charge! Two courses are currently available, each with five (5) modules. Each module may be completed independently of the others. Course modules will contain readings, video tutorials and interactive learning activities that you may complete on your own schedule. 2.5 hours of AAA and ASHA CEUs are available at no cost to you for successful completion of each course module.
Currently Available Courses:
Foundations of Clinical Education – Clinical instruction is a vital component of the education of audiology and speech-language pathology students. Through high-quality and dynamic readings, multimedia offerings and reflective activities, participants will gain a richer understanding of the role of clinical education in graduate programs, with specific emphasis on the role of quality clinical instruction and clinical instructor/student relationships.
Effective Student-Clinical Educator Relationships – Effective student-clinical educator relationships are essential for the education of audiology and speech-language pathology students. Through high-quality and dynamic readings, multimedia offerings and reflective activities, participants will gain a richer understanding of the relationship dynamics between clinical educators and their students in graduate programs, with specific emphasis on fostering relationship skills as they pertain to clinical education.
Effective Student/Clinical Educator Relationships (available June 17, 2019) – Feedback is a critical component of the clinical education process in audiology and speech-language pathology. Through high-quality and dynamic readings, multimedia offerings and reflective activities, participants will gain a richer understanding of the principles and practice of effective feedback, with specific emphasis on evidence-based approaches to delivering feedback in the clinical learning environment.
Additional Course Coming Soon: Measuring Student Performance
How to Enroll:
To enroll in a CAPCSD eLearning course, you will first need to create an account on the CAPCSD Moodle system. If you have already completed a course offering, login with your existing account information.
- Go to the CAPCSD Moodle site at http://elearning.capcsd.org/
- Click on “Create New Account” on the right side under “Is this your first time here?”
- Fill out the form to create a user login and password using an accessible email address. You will need to click on a link from WITHIN your email, so be sure you enter your email address correctly.
- Enter your email account and find the verification message that was sent to you. This message should arrive quickly. If the message does not appear in your inbox, check your spam or junk mail folder. If you do not receive the email, please contact JYurof@edc.org.
- In the email message you will be asked to click on a link to confirm your new account. Clicking on this link will log you into the CAPCSD Moodle system.
Enrolling in the Courses
- Login to the CAPCSD Moodle system with your account login and password.
- Click on “CAPCSD Online Learning”.
- Click on the course of your choice. You must select your desired CEU selection, AAA or ASHA. If you do not want CEUs, you can still engage in the desired aspects of the course but not complete the quiz.
- Enter one of the following enrollment codes, depending on the course in which you are enrolling and the type of CEU desired. The enrollment codes are case sensitive. Enter the enrollment code and click “Enroll Me.”
Foundations of Clinical Education (ASHA CEUs or no CEUs): r7W@8CRk
Foundations of Clinical Education (Am. Acad. of Audiology CEUs): 3k2@wTiL
Effective Student-Clinical Educator Relationships (ASHA CEUs or no CEUs): V5Jem&h!
Effective Student-Clinical Educator Relationships (Am. Acad. of Audiology CEUs): cLp2Sd%r
- You need only enter the enrollment code on your first attempt to access the course. When you return to the site in the future, your course will be listed in the available courses when you log in. Your enrollment will be maintained for 6 months. After that period of time, you are welcome to re-enroll again, at no charge to you.